Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Transit of Venus on June 6th, 2012

Hi all,
I was fortunate to witness the spectacular celestial event (Transit of Venus) earlier this morning at the National Planetarium in Kuala Lumpur. It was very cloudy earlier but soon the sun came out from behind the clouds. I was a little worried when it rained at 6.00 this morning. When I got there at 8.00 am, people have already gathered with telescopes and the media folks busy with their super tech cameras. 

When they announced that we all could start observing Venus orbiting across the sun, I had goose bumps. LOL. There were many 'stations' where people could line up to have a peek at the telescopes. Most of them belongs to the Planetarium and some amateurs brought in their own. 

There was a boy looking up his dad's telescope and the image of the Venus transit was projected onto his sketchbook. I took a photo on that kid's sketchbook here;


See that dot? That is Venus, my friend. Not such a great photo I say, but it will do. From the telescope, the sun is a bright fireball-orange and Venus is just a dark little spot. I have no words.

In Peninsular Malaysia, the transit begins at 6.09 am at sunrise, and ends at 12.49 pm. Malaysians in Sabah, can observe the entire transit until sunset!. As I started writing this post, there is about another hour before the transit ends. 

This made my day today. Have a great Thursday!

Hugs,
Shahrul

2 comments:

  1. Hi! I was there at about 9 30. Were u still around? Amazing wasn't it? I couldn't sleep last nite and went browsing on the Mayan civilization on Venus transit . Pretty cool stuff....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oohhhhh I just missed you!!. I left about 9.00 am, was there for an hour. In a rush to meet a friend at 10 am :((. Did Faiz impressed yet? LOL. Policeman??. Every cell in my body is still excited now, MUST have been the flare. I must go check out what Mayan thought about the transit ...jeng jeng!

      Delete

' Once you make a decision, the universe conspires to make it happen ' - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
BACK TO TOP