Tuesday, March 6, 2012

'Bohemian Rhapsody' Altered Book

Hello everyone. Recently, I had a chance to work with Collection Elements chip boards, metals and the many neutral colored pattern papers for my latest DT projects. As you know, I LOVE flea market finds!. So excited that I'd be making two different mixed-media projects for April's classes. 
This is one of the completed project. I called it 'heavy-metal' NOT because of rock-and-roll, but because the book is kind of heavy with all the metals & flea market finds that I used.

'Bohemian Rhapsody' is my fav song. 

So, what is it?. In a nutshell, it is a humble old book (found at a flea market) which was altered & re-styled into a grungy & artsy journal of some sort. I used as many metal charms & found objects as I like, to decorate the book's cover (but it's totally optional). Inside, I created four pages that featured my favorite quotes from magazines, inspirational words or simply a phrase to ponder. 'Rhapsody' means a piece of music which has an irregular form and full of feeling. So, the title fits the nature of this project perfectly.




I discarded the original pages of the old book (because they were friable), and painted the cover first with black gesso then cream acrylic paint. I added angel wings to both front & back covers using stencil & texture paint. I LOVE the rough edges on the covers.
I glued a key to the key-hole, for fun. Now anyone can enter, NOT just Alice. Dangling metal charms tied up on string, later attached to the spine. Front felt gate with a charm that says 'loving life'.




Two little chipboard pages held by staples (with pearl charms, no less) add interest to this altered book. And how cool to have your own wishing well in mini albums?. Wishing well basically made out of pattern paper envelope, to keep my prayers.

So, that was it. I had a blast making it. Just can't wait to teach this book in April. Do check out also our March classes schedule & prices @ Scrappingville website. Stay tune for my next mini album project. Happy Tuesday.


XO,
Shahrul


Materials used; 
*Pattern Papers: October Afternoon, Basic Grey, 7 Gypsies, Prima Marketing, Making Memories
*Transparency: Hambly Screen Prints Potrait Gallery
*Felt Gate & Flowers: Prima Marketing
*Art-To-Borrow Pictures: Stampington & Company
*Keys & Lock, baubles, game arrows: Tim Holtz
*Chipboard windows: Collection Elements

8 comments:

  1. This is sooooo detailed ... it's beautiful Shahrul, I can't imagine where you get the time to come up with all these AMAZING projects!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kel. I had spent just an hour, over a few days making it :)) I was fun putting all those metals together.

      Delete
  2. Hi Shahrul! I have always love the bohemian rhapsody style too! ( which made me think once why have I named my blog as such?! Hehehehe......long story)
    Anyway, I love this piece of art from you. Great details. Love the grunginess + sweetness effect you have combined in this one!
    Next time I jumpa u kat flea market ok... Hehehe...sure best shopping ngan u....!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heya. Jom jom ... we DO have A LOT in common, don't we?. I'm glad I have met ya. Your art work are all greatness.

      Delete
  3. I saw that in store and I was in awe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Cheryl, great tutorials you gave on SV's website!

      Delete
  4. Goodness! This is stunning Shahrul! Love the amazing details! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Yvonne, thank you. It's a great way to display your found objects & lovely things you're collecting, isn't it?

      Delete

' Once you make a decision, the universe conspires to make it happen ' - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
BACK TO TOP